Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Met Gala 2013- Best Dressed!

The Met Gala is an annual Costume Gala where Celebrities gather to celebrate the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Spring Exhibation. It's chance for celebrities to show themselves off according to the theme, and  this year's was "Punk: Chaos to Couture."
Punk actually started as a rebel movement, where anarchistic feelings and self expression was encouraged. Music, such as the Clash and Suicidal Tendencies, and DIY clothing that used heavy amounts of leather, spikes, texture, plaid and thrashed clothes, were essential parts of the true punk aesthetic. Bringing this to high end fashion provided an outlet for creativity and made sure that the red carpet attracted the most attention of any Met Gala.

Here are a few pictures of the celebrities I thought were the best dressed!


Nina Dobrev wearing Monique Lhuillier. This outfit was my favorite of the entire lot. I love how Nina Dobrev has done everything just right - the molded bustier jumpsuit is feminine and elegant, the black leather harness offsets it, while the black tulle skirt is not only pretty but punk. Her amazing accessories, dramatic make up and grogeous hairstyle complete the look.


Solange Knowles wearing Kenzo decided to dress in a simple blue printed dress. While I love the cut, the huge statement earrings and the decision to tease her hair into an Afro, I think the dress would've benefited from some colour variation - her clutch just disappears into the dress and her shoes add nothing to the outfit.





Chanel Iman wore a sriped asymmetrical gown and dip dyed her hair pink in tribute to the theme ! ! Stripes are everywhere this season, so it was a given that someone would show up wearing them and I think she does the trend justice, and I love the neckline and cut of the gown. However, I think she could've switched the accessories to something other than black and white - the monochromatic effect is a little bit overpowering.


Emmy Rossum wearing a Donna Karan Atelier gown with a sheer outer layer. Not exactly punk, but the dress is gorgeous nonetheless. I love her make up, adore the dangly earrings and statement rings but hate the hair - it doesn't suit the girly aspect of the dress one bit.


Blake Lively wearing Gucci Premiere. This one didn't inspire love on first  sight for me, but on a second look I had to admit that the feathery, velvety texture was definitely funky. I think the transition could've been done a bit more naturally though - while I love the design it the movement from plain grey to black velvet looks muddled. Also, in my opinion she's one of the few celebs who can really carry off the slicked back hairstyle, so kudos to her !

What do you think about these looks? Which one is your favorite? Let me know. :)

Love,
Anushka Makar xx

5 comments:

  1. I think my favourite was Emmy Rossum's dress so gorgeous! X

    londonb0und.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Solange's look! She is one of the best dressed celebrities to me.
    I'm your newest follower!!!
    XOXO from Shanghai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love blake ! she is always dressed up so perfectly !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite was Blake, she's always the best dressed up!!!

    Follow each other? I started to follow you.

    Kisses from Marina.
    http://yourgoldgirl.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Nina Dobrev, she's beautiful in that dress! Great post! I've followed you on GFC and would love a follow back x

    lameyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave your reviews, I reply to every comment and also let me know if you're following me so that I can follow you back. (: